Galosh is a suite of related utilities to ease the lives of amateur radio operators.
- Supported on Debian GNU/Linux and OS X.
- Currently under-going testing on FreeBSD.
- Command-line interface inspired by vim, mutt and git—easy remote use via ssh.
- Fast and flexible logging.
- Online and offline qrz.com lookup.
- QSL tracking.
- QSL card generation.
- Import from ADIF.
- Export to ADIF.
- Prefix resolution using Club Log’s excellent database.
- Online log checker—run Galosh on your Linux server and allow others to check whether they are in your log.
Galosh running on Debian GNU/Linux, using the xmonad window manager for layout:
galosh log running in iTerm on OS X:
DXCC progress report in
galosh web, running on OS X:
- Galosh user’s manual.
- Quick reference card.
- Man pages for individual commands.
- Developer documentation.
Galosh was conceived while I was working in Antarctica and operating as VP8DMH. As a recent Amateur I didn’t have an investment in an existing logging system, and looked around for something that met my criteria. I wanted a system that could handle busy run conditions efficiently while being usable on the modest Linux netbook that I took on field trips. I couldn’t find anything that quite met my needs, and so Galosh was born!
Galosh focuses on:
- Efficient command-line interfaces—all common tasks should be accomplished with the keyboard. Between the rig, computer, PTT control and paddle there are enough things to play with while operating; you shouldn’t have to add a mouse to the mix.
- Offline operation. I like visiting and operating from remote places, and need software that works well with either no Internet connection or a very poor one.
- Modularity. Functionality is exposed as discrete tools where possible, rather than being hidden within a monolithic system. This makes it easy to use parts of Galosh in your own scripts.
- Extensibility and customisability. Galosh is not a black box, but is designed to encourage you to get your hands dirty, tinker, and modify the software to your own requirements.
Galosh is currently in beta. If you’d like to play, drop me a line at:
mike at galosh.org.uk.